- 1.5kg Beef chuck steak, diced
- 2 Leeks, white parts only sliced
- 2 Red onions, large and cut into thin wedges
- 4 sticks Celery, trimmed and sliced
- 2 x cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 x Carrots, large and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 x 425kg cans Tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 cup Red wine (omit if strictly Paleo)
- 1 cup Beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- Fresh Parsley, chopped, to serve
- Mashed Kumara (sweet potato), to serve
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Cook beef in batches, stirring until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Also add the onions, leeks, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the tomatoes, red wine and beef stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for one hour, covered.
- After one hour, uncover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Ready to serve with the mashed Kumara. Sprinkle with parsley leaves.