- 4 cups of onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbs bacon fat
- 1 1/2 tbs coconut balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Dash salt and pepper
- Fry a slice of bacon until crispy. Put on the side and save the bacon fat.
- Toss in the onion slices and stir making sure that the fat evenly coats them.
- Cover and stir the onions occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup of water, still cooking covered for 40-45 minutes.
- Stir the onions every 8-10 minutes to brown beautifully. Make sure that you caramelise your onions and don't burn them.
- Add the coconut balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Your mixture should becoming thick and gooey with very little moisture.
- Leave mixture aside to cool and store contents in a tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. Makes about 1/2 a cup, but this recipe can be easily doubled.