Ingredients (Makes about 1.5 litres)
- 1/2 head of Celery, roughly chopped
- 2 Onions, peeled and halved
- 2 Carrots, peeled and cut lengthways
- 1 Parsnip, peeled and cut lengthways
- 1/4 Turnip, peeled and chopped
- 6 Cabbage leaves
- 1 Leek, trimmed and split lengthways
- Parsley stalks, small bunch
- 4 Peppercorns, black
- 3 Bay leaves
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy-based pot with 6 litres of water, bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours or until reduced to about a third.
- Strain through a colander or sieve and leave to cool.
Keeps in the fridge for 5 days or freeze.